At BRUSH Modern Dentistry, it is the goal of my entire team to help our patients achieve and maintain a beautiful and healthy smile for their lifetime. Believe it or not, this sometimes means that we have to remove a tooth in order to protect your dental health. I always consider tooth extractions as a last resort; however, there are some circumstances when an extraction is recommended:
- A tooth that has been affected by advanced gum disease, or periodontitis
- A tooth that is damaged, fractured, infected, or decayed beyond what root canal therapy can restore
- Teeth that are crowded or overlap may be removed to make orthodontic treatment easier
- Wisdom teeth
Why Do I Need My Wisdom Teeth Extracted?
Wisdom teeth are the last set of molars to arrive at the very back of the mouth typically when a patient is 18 to 25 years old. For most patients, I recommend that we remove their third molars, or wisdom teeth, and there are a few reasons for this:
- There is typically not enough space for wisdom teeth, and they may begin to crowd surrounding teeth and cause them to shift.
- Wisdom teeth are more difficult to properly brush and floss due to their location at the back of the mouth behind the second molars.
- Sometimes, wisdom teeth remain impacted or trapped beneath the gum line, which can result in an infection.
- Some wisdom teeth come in at odd angles that are damaging to neighboring teeth.
I can perform most standard wisdom teeth extractions at my dental office in Frisco, TX. However, wisdom teeth that are impacted, I will entrust to a talented oral surgeon to ensure the best experience and outcome for our patients.
Will My Extraction Procedure Hurt?
At BRUSH Modern Dentistry, our patient’s comfort is first and foremost in my mind, and I know that many patients may find a tooth extraction to feel like an overwhelming process. However, I use the best dental anesthesia to ensure you don’t feel anything during your extraction procedure. I also offer options for dental sedation such as nitrous oxide and oral sedation to help patients who are anxious about their procedure feel more relaxed and at ease.
I’ll send you home with detailed instructions on how to make your recovery smooth and comfortable, and my team and I are also here throughout your recovery process in case you have questions or concerns. We will work together to ensure that you have a comfortable experience before, during, and after your tooth extraction.
If you would like more information about tooth extractions in Frisco or our options for sedation dentistry, please contact BRUSH Modern Dentistry today for more information.